Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Final Post - Goodbye Europe

I just posted the story of my weekend in London so if you want to hear about the 49ers game make sure and check that out.  This post, which will be my final one, is a goodbye to Europe and a thank you to anyone that is still reading the story of my trip.

First of all, goodbye to the trains of Europe.  I have spent a ridiculous amount of hours riding them around, as you can see from the map of my journey.

13 Countries, 87 Days
Goodbye to the Hostels, especially the Hostel Peter Pan in Rome.  I enjoyed my stay most everywhere, except for the Hostel Peter Pan in Rome.  By the way, the Hostel Peter Pan in Rome sucks.

Goodbye to the Euro (Pound, Koruna, Zloty, Florint and Franc).  I can't wait to have a $1 bill instead of a coin.  Also none of your money has Andrew Jackson (the most bad-ass president) on it, so it is automatically inferior. 

Goodbye to every language that I did not understand.  On the flipside I am now fluent in grunting and making hand gestures to get what I need.  Well I guess I was always fluent in that.

Goodbye to my backpack.  I have grown way too attached to you and your black and green design.  You were the only thing with which I spent every single day of the trip.

Most notably, goodbye to all of the people I have met all over Europe.  My trip would not have been the same without you and here's to hoping we can keep in touch.  Anyone who became one of my ten million new Facebook friends is welcome anytime in Chicago.

Hello USA, home of baseball, football (the real one) and excellent customer service.

*

A quick thank you to everyone who has kept up with reading the blog.  The hardest part of a long trip is maintaining a sense a purpose.  The blog gave me that purpose and will now become a log of my PG-13 memories of the trip.  (Don't worry Mom and Dad, there are no R-rated memories).

At the risk of rambling, this trip has been an amazing experience.  Hopefully reading my adventures has made you want to travel and make memories of your own.  Its definitely worth it.

Thank you to everyone back in the US for keeping in touch.

One last thank you is in order.  Thank you mom.  This trip would still be just a dream without your encouragement and financial support.

If you are in Chicago, see you tomorrow.  If not, hopefully I can come visit you soon.

GO GIANTS!  Aubrey Huff literally just went deep.  If you want to watch Game 5 with a Giants fan, give me a call tomorrow.

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." - Saint Augustine

Scott


No comments:

Post a Comment