Sunday, October 3, 2010

Days 57-59 - Amsterdam to Koln to Frankfurt to Munich to Vienna

On the way out of the library in Amsterdam after my last post I overheard a conversation about Oktoberfest.  The two people were talking about how the coming weekend was the last of the festival and I immediately knew my next destination.  Unfortunately the night train for the next day was booked so I made a reservation that involved two train changes during the night and would have me arrive in Munich at 5:30 am on Saturday morning.  With a plan in hand I set out to enjoy the last twenty-four hours of Amsterdam. 


I spent the day with two students from the US who are studying abroad in Luxembourg.  We filled the hours souvenir shopping and enjoying the randomness of Amsterdam.

Not a place to act ridiculous
At 6:30 pm it was time to begin the journey to Munich.  After a train switch in Koln I fell asleep and did not wake up until Frankfurt, the end of the line.  Of course I was supposed to switch trains before Frankfurt and there was now no way to get to Munich until morning.  The shortest hotel stay of my life ended with an awesome breakfast and it was back to the train station.  I bet you can see what is coming next: The trains to Munich were full.  Undeterred, I sat in the doorway of the 9 am train for the entirety of the trip.

Oktoberfest












I am glad I made it to Oktoberfest and appreciate the festival for its importance.   However being unable to move and having drunk teenagers bump into you gets a bit old.  I left after only a few hours and got on a train to Austria.  I will be in Vienna until the 6th, when I head to Innsbruck for a day.  The 7th will be spent on trains from Innsbruck to Rome since I meet Melissa the morning of the 8th.  (For those that do not know: I have a friend from Napa coming to Europe so I have extended my trip until November 1st.)

And now, randomly, here are three food items I have enjoyed over the last three days. 

All the health benefits of crisps with that great bacon taste

Great McDonalds burger with grilled onions

Stroopwafels, the best thing from The Netherlands since my relatives

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment