Sunday, October 31, 2010

Days 85-87 - A 49er-Filled Weekend in London

After taking a full day to get from Luxembourg to London it was time to see the rest of the sights.  A walk along the South Bank led me to Shakespeare's Globe, a reconstruction of the famous theater.


The walk itself provided great views of London, especially the skyline.  Another benefit was seeing ads for the NFL Rally at Trafalgar Square, an event I did not know about.

The rally was a melting pot of NFL fans and they were surprisingly few 49ers fans in attendance.


Commissioner Roger Goodell gave a speech where he said that he wants to add a franchice in London.  Steelers owner Dan Rooney joined him on stage and said a few words.  After the speech both of them walked around and interacted with some of the fans.

Goodell is in blue and Rooney has the white hair
At night Bruce (my mom's cousin) and I went to the London Sports Cafe to watch some college football.  I stayed to watch the Giants game and sadly the Rangers ruined my night.

The next morning it was finally time for the match-up of the year: 49ers vs. Broncos.  When 1-6 meets 2-5 its a game that can't be missed.  In all seriousness though the game was awesome.  I think we all know what its like to go to an NFL game so here are some pictures.

Wembley Stadium

The Golden Gate Bridge

My Chemical Romance performing near the flags of all 32 NFL teams

The opening kickoff
The only thing I will say about the experience is that it was hysterical.  The people here mostly understood the major rules but the details of being a football fan were lost on them.  For example, I had to teach my section how to properly chant De-Fense.  In case you are wondering the 49ers won. 

The game consumed much of the day and inched me ever closer to my departure.  At this time tomorrow I will hopefully be sitting in my apartment in Chicago.

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment